Friday, June 26, 2015

RTI

I have noticed an increased amount of “RTI” pins on pinterest lately and I’ve decided to touch on this subject. I have put in several hours of research into RTI (Response to Intervention) . I can write about this program on and on and on, but I am going to try my best and explain our RTI process during the next couple of posts (they’ll be short, I PROMISE).  The first question is how to start RTI. Many states provide the RTI program for teachers and train them, but then there are those that have to research RTI on their own. I focus on 2 subjects when it comes to RTIing a student, they are Reading and Math. I like to test and observe students to see where they are academically and/ or if they are on grade level at the beginning of the school year. Every student is screened on a periodic basis to identify struggling learners. We tier our students on 3 different levels. Tier 1 students are on grade level and I work with these students about once or twice a week during Guided Reading (Daily 5) and Guided Math time. Tier 2 students,  are on grade level and need group instruction more than tier 1 students but less than tier 3, during this time we practice and learn skills that have already been taught during whole group instruction. At the tier 3 level students receive intensive interventions that target specific Reading and/or Math skills. I meet with tier 3 students everyday during my Guided Reading and Math groups. I’m going to start “backwards” here. I want to emphasize on what I do during my Tier 3 intervention, which is longer to explain. Once I feel that I have fully explained Tier 3, then I’ll move onto my Tier 2 level interventions, finally to my Tier 1 groups. These require separate posts! I’ve been working on my Tier 3 packets and I’ll leave you with a freebie for now. I use this blending activity during Guided Reading (daily 5) with my Tier 3 students who need intensive interventions on blending words. Before I start my very first post on RTI, I would love to hear what ya'll do for RTI or how you implement or if you have any questions! Enjoy!




This is what I am working on next. I have had these for YEARS and it's time for me to re-do them and I will share them with you all as soon as I am done. Yes, those are Nestle, Quick containers!



No comments:

Post a Comment